. Regurgitated Alpha Bits: What Does Home Mean?

Saturday, August 27, 2016

What Does Home Mean?

Many many years ago I had a sweet little girl in my third grade class. She and her family were new immigrants from Mexico, and all five of them shared a rented bedroom in someone's house. Both parents worked hard and pushed their kids to do well in school. Over the years, I taught all three of the kids in the family. They're all grown now. Everyone graduated from high school. The two youngest went on to college and the oldest is married and has son of her own.


Yesterday, I heard a voice calling out to me as I drove down the street after school. I see the mom of these kids waving at me excitedly from a porch. 

"We live here now! This is our home now!!!"  

She was so proud, and my heart swelled for her and her family. I'm sure that house represents much more than a home to them.

No comments: