. Regurgitated Alpha Bits: Rookie Mistake

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Rookie Mistake

Each of our students has a gmail account and google drive account through the school. That means we can create and share documents totally online and paperlessly. It's pretty cool!

We just got these accounts though, so teachers and kids alike are are learning as we go.

Today, my most intensive readers and I were working on creating a new document, giving it a name, saving it and then sharing it with me so I can grade it.

A time-consuming process for all the kids at this point, but glacially slow with these kids.

And, as is usually the case with me, I was running behind. We were right in the middle of naming our documents "Last name, first initial, Super Sentences" when I saw my next class lining up outside. I had to get things moving.

So I decided they should shorten "Super Sentences" to "SS" in their titles.

I asked Arturo Granado, the student who was modeling my instructions using his iPad under my document camera, to type in our shortened title, thus producing in all its giant, well-lit glory across the front of my room:

Granado A SS

Gasp!

Thank goodness these kids rarely look at my examples and were already furiously typing their titles.

So I quietly positioned myself in front of the offending title and encouraged them to type quickly.

And the following shared documents began populating my folder:

Smith ASS - from Adam Smith
Gonzalez ASS - from Andy Gonzalez
Jones A SS - from Amy Jones (at least she remembered the space between her initial and SS...)

Tomorrow, we are going to learn how to delete a document.

Before next week when we will show our parents Google Drive.


No comments: