. Regurgitated Alpha Bits: Success and the Other Thing

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Success and the Other Thing

Success!

This week, a young man with little confidence in his academic skills surpassed his reading goal. The thrill on his face would have been worth giving up a week's worth of pay.

...which I already have via furlough days, by the way. And then some...

His goal was to read 118 words in a minute fluently.

He read 126 words and did so without any errors!

I sent him over to my teaching partner, who has been working very hard with him, to tell him the good news. He beamed with pride as he announced to his other teacher:

I read 126 words in a minute with NO arrows!

Alrighty, Robin Hood!

Other Thing

Every day at dismissal, a certain little fourth grader asks if my teaching partner's iPhone has "wi-five"on it because "his mom's iPhone does." Evidently, "it's cool."

When we get tired of the never-ending discussion about wi-five, we send him over to the gate to stand guard for his mom.

And he does. At the gate he stands with his back straight, arms at his side: quarter turn left, quarter turn left, salute, quarter turn right, quarter turn right, salute, quarter turn left, quarter turn left...

I don't know about you, but I see a future for this kid!


2 comments:

AEwer said...

Enjoyed reading your blog! My post today speaks of the same sigh of teacher satisfaction that comes when a struggling learner finds success. Check it out and let me know what you think!
-Andrea

http://schooledbya5yearold.wordpress.com/

Jessica said...

Love your blog! Stop by and visit me sometime...

learnplayandhavefun.blogspot.com