. Regurgitated Alpha Bits: New Year - New Lessons

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

New Year - New Lessons

I'm back in the saddle again.

I must admit, it's nice to once again surround myself with the smell of whiteboard markers and glue sticks.

I really have nothing too interesting to report regarding my first two days in school, but I have learned a few new lessons. (Gotta lotta "to's" in that sentence! I've met my quota.)

Lesson #1
Light-up tennis shoes are no longer just for toddlers. About 1/2 of my girls are prancing around in polka dotted Converse-esque tennies that flash colored lights with each step.

Not.

Distracting.

At All.

(I'm just hoping they don't start wearing the ones that squeak with each step!)


Lesson #2
Despite the fact that I apologized up front and about every 1.3 seconds for two days straight, my students show no mercy when I can't remember their names. They take it as a personal insult and are quick to roll their eyes or harrumph at me (both HUUUUUGE mistakes, they soon learn) when I have to ask them to tell it to me.

Get.

Over.

Yourself!


Lesson #3
No matter how many times you tell them, some kids don't grasp that when the teacher explains directions and then says, "Raise your hand if you have a question about what we are doing," asking "Can we start now?" does not qualify as an appropriate question.


That being said, they seem like a nice bunch of kids and I look forward to having another great year.

At the very least, I'll hopefully have some fun stories for us about kids who are having a great year!!

2 comments:

Ginger Snaps said...

Um, I'm tired of asking the same question, "Does everyone understand?" Nods from around the room. 30 seconds later, "Miss Watkins, what do I do on number 1?" Hello! Where were you when I said who has a question!? I think I will do a lesson on reading the directions. That is so annoying!

Fern Smith's Classroom Ideas said...

I am horrible with names and no matter what tricks I've tried in 22 years, still no luck!! So for the first few weeks everyone is Sport and Queenie!
~Fern
Fern Smith’s Classroom Ideas!